Monday, May 1, 2023

Session 3: Breakouts 11:30 AM-12:25 PM

Conference Room 1

Author Talk with Carrie Firestone: Dress Coded and The First Rule of Climate Club


Presenter: Carrie Firestone, Author


Carrie Firestone is an author, former high school teacher, and community builder. Her stories reflect a life-long passion for activism, travel, and bringing seemingly random groups of people together for a common cause. She currently co-runs ForwardCT, a civic engagement and service project organization in Connecticut where she lives with her husband, teen daughters, and rescue dog.


Sponsored by: CLA Young Adult  Services Section

Conference Room 2

TikTok Around the Clock


Presenters: Sam Partney, Cragin Memorial Library; Jennifer Rummel, Cragin Memorial Library


Interested in starting a TikTok at your library? Join Jennifer and Sam as they lead you on an adventure through their first year of TikTok. We'll share our trials, errors, and successes. See examples of their funny videos, learn how to make transitional videos, and see how you can use TikTok to reach a global group of readers.


Sponsored by: CLA Young Adult Services Section

Conference Room 3

Get What You Need With Political Savvy


Presenters: Maxine Bleiweis; Erica Roggeveen Byrne; Alice Knapp, Ferguson Library


Are you challenged by the very officials who make the financial and policy decisions in your community? It's not easy to get on their radar to make your case for the importance of your library. OR IS IT? You'll hear from three seasoned presenters who have navigated the waters and are ready to share their advice and experiences. Alice Knapp and Maxine Bleiweis were able to get attention and funds for important library projects and annual budgets while Erica Byrne worked in the CT legislature managing relationships with legislators and stakeholder groups as well as leading a political party in a CT community.


CLA Member-Sponsored

Conference Room 5

It Takes a Village to Raise a Library!


Presenters: Kate Byroade, Cragin Memorial Library; Miriam Byroade, Manchester Public Library Board; Tim Coon, City Manager of Meriden; Doug McDonough, Manchester Public Library; Jay Moran, Mayor of  Manchester; Stephen Ristau, Vote YES Library Community Campaign; Kevin Scarpati, Mayor of  Meriden; Dennis Schain, Manchester Board of Directors; Olivia Scully, Bibliomation; Becky Starr, Meriden Public Library; Steve Stephanou, Town Manager of Manchester; Thomas J. Welsh, Esq., City of Meriden


A unique opportunity to hear from elected officials, municipal managers, library directors and community members who worked together to realize major building projects—a $13M renovation and expansion in Meriden and a $39M bonding referendum for a new building in Manchester. This session will focus on navigating the local funding process, advocacy, obtaining funds from outside sources, and a ground-breaking economic impact study.


Sponsored by: CLA Legislative Committee

Conference Room 6

How to Support Your School Media Specialists


Presenters: Sage Gentry, Farmington Libraries;  Jessica-Lynn Johnson, Farmington High School; Alex Klaus, Durham Public Library; Jenny Lussier, Brewster Elementary School; Melissa Thom, Bristow Middle School


In this panel discussion, join the Children's Section Co-Chairs and three School Media Specialists to learn how Public Librarians and Libraries can best support and collaborate with their local School Media Specialists!


Sponsored by: CLA Children’s Services Section

Conference Room 7

Become a Gigabit Library - New ARPA Funding for High Speed Fiber Connections!


Presenters: Elaine Braithwaite, Bridgeport Public Library; Rachael Collard, CEN; Genevieve Francis, West Hartford Public Library; Ryan Kocsondy, CEN; Kate Sheehan, Stratford Library Association


Come learn  more about ARPA funding opportunities for CT libraries to connect to the Connecticut Education Network (CEN).  70% of CT’s libraries connect today and this session will cover how the remaining 30% can enroll in CEN’s Broadband Infrastructure program for a no-cost fiber build and get your library connected to the fastest and most secure Internet network in the state. In addition, you will understand free services on CEN, upgrades on the horizon, and why you don’t want to miss this opportunity to join the network that is rooted and established in community anchor institutions. 


CLA Member-Sponsored